Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Day 30: June 19, 2012 ~ Joyful Sound

Day 30: June 19, 2012 ~ Joyful Sound

"The singer has everything within him. The notes come out from his very life.
They are not materials gathered from outside."
Rabindranath Tagore

Yesterday I shared a dream with my dream group...it was about wanting to learn how to sing. I've had a series of dreams that involve learning to sing, which I've always looked at as metaphors for wanting to find my own voice and express it in the world--as in writing a blog for instance :-) or speaking to groups or teaching. After the fifth such dream I wondered if perhaps I'm also being prompted to actually learn to sing!

I've never felt confident about singing, so I've limited my performances to singing in my car or in the shower. I did get brave once many years ago. Inspired by Bette Midler's soulful rendition of "The Rose", I volunteered to sing it at a small gathering celebrating Christmas Eve. I practiced that song for weeks. In the shower, I swear it sounded just like Bette! When it came time for the actual 'performance' I was shaking like the proverbial leaf. Thankfully my guitarist friend who accompanied me was extremely patient and encouraging. I managed to squeak out the song somehow...and my friends were very sweet in their comments (I think they may have been exaggerating just a little when they said it sounded like angels singing :-)

Anyway, after all these dreams I decided to dive in and try another adventure: I have joined a summer choral group called "Joyful Sound". The theme is "Another Summer of Love" and the program includes: "Aquarius", "Let the Sunshine In", "Proud Mary", "Spinning Wheel", "You've Got a Friend", and a Beatles medley. I've been listening to the alto parts on a CD while driving in my car. It feels wonderful to sing out, and I have a new attitude now. Practice, practice, practice. What is that quote..."practice anything for 10,000 hours and you'll become an expert at it." 10,000 hours of singing those alto lines ought to do the trick!

The thing is, those dreams are about singing, and it's also not about singing...it's about how one goes through life. Singing in a dream is a metaphor for the expression of joy. So it's a desire to experience more joy. Singing involves body and soul. Singing is about being a willing instrument for spirit to come through. I love to watch someone sing who is totally engaged with the music, with passion, down to their toes. You can feel spirit streaming through. That's how I want to go through life, singing my own song at last.

In gratitude for the gift of song in our lives, and the opportunity to share it in joyful harmony with others, and for the opportunities to sing our own unique song.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment