Friday, June 8, 2012

Day 25: June 8, 2012 ~ Carpe Diem

Day 25: June 8, 2012 ~ Carpe Diem

"You don't need endless time and perfect conditions. Do it now. Do it today. Do it for twenty minutes and watch your heart start beating."
Barbara Sher


Is there a creative project or career path that you have contemplated beginning--or a new hobby like painting, writing, dancing, singing, skydiving, or whatever secret passion may be hiding in the closet--but you have put it off for another day, when conditions are right, when you have more time, more money, or finally know enough to begin? I'm here to say don't wait...do it now!

I feel like I am coming out of the closet. No, not that closet--but it does have to do with being happy :-) As I write, I'm getting a picture of a closet as being a passageway to new territory and am reminded of The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe from CS Lewis' Chronicles of Narnia. You know the story: four children are evacuated from London during World War II and sent to live on a country estate, where they discover a magic wardrobe that leads to an enchanted world. It is actually the youngest child, Lucy, who first discovers the wardrobe and boldly ventures through, led by curiosity and wonder. Isn't that the way--if we allow our child-like nature, our younger, more curious, perhaps bolder self to lead the way--what adventures might we encounter!

My hidden passion has been writing. That's the closet I've been in. I even bought a book years ago called Is There a Book Inside You? This is a great book that offers a step-by-step plan for writing and publishing your own book. Oh yes! I thought, this is the information I've been waiting for! Now I'll finally be able to begin. Don't you know, I read that book from cover to cover. I highlighted, underlined, made action lists, did all the steps. Only one problem: I had no idea what book I wanted to write, and so I didn't actually write on a daily basis.

Until now. And now I can't seem to stop writing! I don't know if this will ever be a book. But I'm having a great time. I work at two jobs and have a busy life, but I make time every day to write something, because it makes my heart sing. Because I can't not write. I'm loving opening my eyes to the beauty and wonder all around and finding new gems in my path every single day. I told a dear friend recently that it feels like turning on the tap and having water stream through.

I leave you with the words of another sage, Dr. Seuss: "Today is your day, your mountain is waiting, so get on your way."

No comments:

Post a Comment